What’s That Noise? 5 Common Car Sounds & What They Could Mean
Cars make all kinds of noises. Some are completely normal, while others can be a key indicator of a bigger problem. At Ulmer’s Auto Care Center, our ASE Certified Mechanics in Anderson, Milford and Cincinnati, OH can help you quickly diagnose any strange sounds you have noticed coming from your vehicle! Our automotive experts have put together a list of some of the most common sounds customers visit us for to help you be proactive in getting your vehicle serviced when needed.
It’s time to get your vehicle checked when you hear:
1. A high-pitched squeal when accelerating. If you notice a loud squeal when accelerating, especially if your car is just warming up, it could be that you have a loose or worn fan belt. Usually if your fan belts are worn, it could mean your timing belt needs to be replaced as well. Money-saving tip: it’s usually more cost-efficient to replace them both at one time, rather than separately.
2. A hissing noise while idle. This is usually a sign that one of your hoses is cracked or has come loose. You should have your vehicle serviced immediately if you notice this noise accompanied by steam from under your hood and/or the heat of your engine rising significantly.
3. A thudding noise from your tires. If you notice your tires are making a thudding noise while you’re driving, especially when you’re driving on smooth roads and you don’t have a flat, it could be that the air pressure in your tires is low and uneven. It also could be a sign that your wheel alignment is off. If your tires aren’t properly aligned, it can cause poor gas mileage and shorten your tires lifespan. The thudding noise is usually paired with a bumpier ride, so you might also notice that your car isn’t driving as smoothly as it used to.
4. Your brakes making a metallic scraping noise when applied. If you hear this, it can mean the lining of your brakes or your brake pads are worn and need to be replaced. Never put off brake repair! As one of the most important safety features of your vehicle, it’s important that your brakes are always performing correctly and efficiently.
5. A whining noise coming from the front of your car. A steady whine from the front of your car could be because your power steering fluid is low. A full tune-up service with your trusted auto repair shop in Anderson, Milford or Cincinnati, OH can easily check and replenish all of your vehicle’s fluids. Keeping up with your vehicle maintenance services has many benefits. (Check out our blog post 7 Great Reasons to Keep Up with Your Auto Maintenance Services to learn more!)
At Ulmer’s Car Care Center, our friendly, knowledgeable team of expert mechanics is ready and able to help with any and all of the funky sounds that are coming from your car. Simply stop by our auto shop, give us a call, or schedule an appointment online today, and we’ll get your car, truck, SUV, minivan or hybrid vehicle sounding right again!